Total Member today : 1335

All members can create their event at http://lbk.com.sg/forum/events .

Do let us know if you need help create one.
Find out our points Awarding System

http://lbk.com.sg/forum/discussion/223/lbk-official-points-issuing-list
General reminder to all. Please confirm the verification link email to you to confirm your membership. Or you actions in the forum will be moderated and not instant approve.

Do check your spam folder for the email

FUJIFILM X100T - PREMIUM COMPACT HANDS-ON REVIEW

Vibranze Pioneer 3324 points
Vibranze
12/11/2014 | 06:18:10 edited November 2014

Fujifilm X100T (the 'T'hird generation of X100) is a brand new camera and a successor of the famous X100S. It sure does look like its predecessor so the objective of this review is to see what is change on this camera and what they have kept the same.

Before going into details, here is the key features of X100T (source: dpreview.com).

• 16MP X-Trans CMOS II sensor (with on-sensor phase detection elements)
  • 35mm equivalent f/2 lens
  • Hybrid EVF with 2.3m dot LCD and more advanced overlays in optical mode
  • 3.0" 1.04m dot rear LCD (720 x 480 pixels)
  • Macro shooting down to 10cm (3.9")
  • Built-in Wi-Fi with remote control function
  • Rear command dial
  • Seven customizable buttons
  • Customizable Q menu
  • Built-in ND filter
  • Optional electronic shutter mode (increasing maximum shutter speed to 1/32000 sec)
  • 'Classic Chrome' film simulation mode
  • 1080p movies at 60, 50, 30, 25 and 24fps
  • Exposure control for movies
  • Built-in intervalometer
  • Stereo mic input (2.5mm-type)

Image Courtesy of Fujifilm

From the specification wise, the X100T does indeed have the exact same lens, sensor and processor as the X100S, in other words it has the same image quality as X100S as well.

As I owned X100S before, I would say the X100T is look similar to X100S but there are quite a few improvements they made, such as the LCD on the back is 3" now and the resolution is a huge jump to 1.04 million dots, way better than 460,000 on the X100S. Fuji seems oversight about the articulated screen as it's not not exists even in brand new X100T.

EVF
The biggest improvement, or I would rather say biggest change is the new optical hybrid viewfinder, whereby there's a darkened 'tab' that can pop up in the optical viewfinder, which allows the EVF information to be clearly projected into the viewfinder. This means an enlarged version of the focus point or the camera's 'Digital Split Image' focus guide can be seen in optical viewfinder mode, giving a rangefinder-like real-time focusing experience.

The EVF is also improved with 2.36 million dots and we're getting a way better lag rate, it's very smooth that I don't even know that I'm using electronic viewfinder. :-)

ISO Performance
ISO performance also have been improved, now it can be expanded from ISO 100 to 51,200 where the X100S topped out at 25,600. In X100T, you also now get a choice of three Auto ISO positions, allowing you to define variant limits for each, so you can quickly recall the Auto ISO mode whose limits match your current needs at any given moment. What a handy feature!

A note on the high ISO, in order to use the ISO 12,800, 25,600 and 51,200 you have to set the shooting mode to JPEG only instead of RAW or RAW+JPEG.

EXPOSURE COMPENSATION
The exposure compensation range available from the top dial is wider now, ranging a full -3EV to +3EV instead of X100S' +/-2EV. Exposure compensation can now be set in Manual exposure mode as well.

Finally, spot metering can now be coupled with autofocus, such that the metering location follow the active autofocus point.

TRANSFER & SHARE YOUR PHOTO INSTANTLY
Another brand-new feature for the Fujifilm X100T is you can now transfer and share images almost instantly with friends and family on social networks, and control the camera remotely, complete with a live view to make sure you have the best composition composed before you fire the shutter. You can also geotag photos via Wi-Fi, although this relies on your phone's GPS receiver and so will likely lessen its battery life.

LIGHTNING FAST ELECTRONIC SHUTTER
Fujifilm X100T now provides an electronic shutter function. This will take you all the way out to a staggering 1/32,000 second, helping to freeze the action with really fast-moving subjects. Now you can shoot wide open under bright day without your photo getting overexposed.

CREATIVE FEATURE & NEW FILM SIMULATION
For time-lapse fans, Fujifilm X100T came with interval timer function so if you forgot to bring your intervalometer, you can use built-in interval timer.

There's also a new Classic Chrome film simulation, a function first seen in the Fujifilm X30, and said to offer "muted tones and deep color reproduction". Most photos in this review was using this film simulation and I love it!

STORAGE
Storage wise, it has been tweaked as well, with the earlier camera's Secure Digital card slot (compatible with SDHC, SDXC, and UHS-I cards) retained, but the internal memory boosted from 24MB to 55MB -- enough for a few shots if you leave your card at home by mistake. (It happens to me all the time, duh!)

VERDICT

What It Does Good:

• Solid weather-sealed body
  • Retro design
  • Excellent image quality
  • Lag free EVF (for single shot)
  • Hybrid viewfinder
  • 'Q' button is godsend
  • 7 custom presets
  • 3 ISO presets
  • Usable ISO up to 6,400
  • Silent and stealth shutter, good for street photography
  • Buttons customization
  • WiFi Connectivity 

What Could Be Better: 

• No RAW file above ISO 6,400
  • No flash burst
  • No flash white balance
  • No articulated / tilt screen
  • Tripod mount is still blocking battery/memory compartment
  • Video capabilities is still lacking

OK, enough mumbling and let's the photo speak for itself. Hope you guys enjoy the review and feel free to ask me a question or leave a feedback. Thanks for reading. :-)

Leave a Comment

Do you know that you will earn points by any actions in forum, purchase from eshop and attending events?
We need your feedback if you saw any amiss.

http://www.lobangkings.com/forum/discussion/91/suggestions-and-complaints#latest